Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Mike Retires!


It's official. Mike retired from the game he LOVES last week. The last 27 years of his life was devoted and consumed with this game....... now it is over.




Some of you may ask "WHY?"

WHY retire from this glorious game?


It's not because there weren't offers, there were a few. It's because baseball life is HARD and often heartbreaking.

I really think Mike's heart and soul were broken, beat up and ready to move on.

Maybe more years in BASEBALL wasn't God's plan for us. Most likely, God provided us a really exciting adventure to get us to where we are today. I truly believe God has placed Mike in the right place, at the right time to start his next career.

Mike's first communication or incounter with the radio station he is working for now was because he was a baseball player. It opened the door for him.

HOWEVER:

If Mike had been up in the Big Leagues at the end of last season, he would not have had the chance to start his Saturday radio show.

If he didn't have that Saturday show, he probably wouldn't have the chance to fill in during the holidays for the regular hosts.

If he hadn't filled in over the holidays, he probably wouldn't have made connections in the radio industry.

His decision on retiring was not an easy one. A ton of prayer, debate and soul searching went into his decision. And ultimately he decided he was ready for the next chapter in his life.


He worked hard this off season to open even more doors for his next career in sports talk radio. Not only did one door open, but 2 doors opened for him last week. He was offered a job on 2 different radio stations.

He decided to take the producer position on his favorite radio station 1310am "The Ticket." Not only will his connection and LOVE for baseball live on, Mike gets to do what he truly enjoys- talking about the Mavs, the Cowboys and the Rangers.... and get paid for doing it!



Baseball was a fun, amazing journey and we created some lasting memories because of it. Listed below are just a few.

1) Living in 5 different states the first 6 months of our marriage.

2) Living in 13 different states throughout all years of our marriage.


3) Traveling to places we never dreamed we would go. For example Kinston, NC and Akron, OH- bet you guys didn't even know about those cities, I sure didn't!

4) Mike helping the USA qualify for the 2008 Olympics in Cuba the summer of 2007.

5) Playing for 4 major league teams and playing in over a dozen major league ballparks.

6) Many, many fun spring training memories- going to the beach, Disney World, Busch Gardens.

7) When Mike was with the Rangers in spring training, my family flew out to Phoenix and we drove up to Mesa, AZ to spread my Grandmother's ashes on top of a beautiful mountain in her favorite part of the world.

8)Watching Mary Grace cheer for her Daddy! "Strike him out DADDY!"


9) The beautiful drives from Spring Training to where ever he was playing each year.


10)Living with different couples during spring training and during the season because we were so poor we couldn't afford rent on our own.

11) Making it on $12,000 a year and thinking we had all the money in the world!

12) Mary Grace being put on the score board jumbo-tron in Philadelphia with a diaper on her head and sunglasses on at midnight as a game went into the 17th inning- she was delirious! And so was I!


13) Bringing our sweet Jake into our family during the 2008 season in Ohio.


14) Meeting the most AMAZING, wonderful, inspiring people along the way.


We are excited to be a part of new memories!

1) Births of our friends babies. We have 7 friends due to deliver during this spring and summer which we would have missed if Mike was playing this year. (Roxanne, Kriste, Angela, Amy, Gretchen, Morgan, Michelle)

2) Easters, Memorial Days, 4th of Julys and Labor Days with our family.

3) Weddings, Birthday parties, Graduations and Funerals.

4) Springs in Texas. (We always missed the bluebonnets blooming.)

5) Summers in Texas- OK not much to miss except 104 degree heat!

6) Establishing a connection with a church.

7) Taking family vacations. (We have never done this! EVER!)

8) Being available to my sweet baseball girls who are all having babies this season... Kylie, Deborah, Perri and Tammy- I am there in a heartbeat ...... just say the word.


To my sweet husband..... I am SO VERY proud of you and all that you accomplished during your time playing ball. It was a very exciting journey! I am honored you took me along with you. I know you are hurting and I pray that your pain eases a little everyday. Every spring you will get that itch to play ball....I will do my best to support you, distract you and give you your time to grieve.


I am looking forward to the next chapter in our life with the radio show, being home-home and spending time with our sweet family!

This is a picture from the last game we were all together. Columbus, OH. August 2008.



I'm sure I will write again about our life in Baseball because I am also having a difficult time with the transition. So expect a few more blogs dedicated to the chapter of our life that is closing..... writing is my therapy. Thank you all for listening!

6 comments:

Brooke B said...

From one retired baseball family to another ...We love you guys. 5 years and counting we still get the itch....but what memories! We had the opportunity to experience so much and we are so grateful everyday. We all have such stories to tell. I cried reading you blog just thinking about how much our life has changed since baseball....but I am so thankful it has. The Baseball life is great but being with your family everyday is the best!

ashley said...

Sue, I cannot imagine how difficult this transition must be for your family - but selfishly, I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to build a deeper friendship with you. Your family is a blessing to us and it will be neat to see what God does in your lives this year!

Unknown said...

Hey Susie Q. Brion and I read your blog and both had tears in our eyes. You write very beautifully and you have the power of making us feel like we are retiring from baseball. It has been an amazing journey and I know the real journey is just beginning. God has so much in store for you. Let's call it "The Wonderful Tales of the Bacsik Family - Chapter II." We love you guys! We will be praying for you.

Perri Speigner said...

Tears are flowing! I am so proud of you and Mike. You are so strong. I will continue to pray for your precious family. I can't imagine how hard this must be, but exciting at the same time! Easter, 4th of July, Weddings, Class Reunions and family vacations...TOGETHER, how nice. I miss you so much. I love you...hope I get to see you soon! :-)

Anonymous said...

Aaron and I can attest to the blessing that was #10--We're so lucky to have met you both! You are, and will always be, our favorite roommates! Wishing you strength, peace, family dinners, Sunday mornings, and all the best in 2009. xoxo Kerri

♥Shally said...

I don't know how I missed this post!!

Congrats to you and your family!

We look back on our baseball years with such fondness. We are grateful for every minute (even the gross hotels and the tiny cities!)

It made us who we are today, and we wouldn't trade it for the world!

I love having my husband home every night. I love giving our kids a bit of stability.

He will be awesome at his new job!!